DIY Fiber Art


So I’ve seen some fabulous yarn wall hangings on Pinterest, and I developed a major fiber crush on the whole look. So when I found this tutorial I had to make my own.


I had the yarn already, but with only one skein of gray and a skein and a half of the thick cream wool, it wasn’t enough for any knitting projects.

I wound twenty long strands back and forth between my hands and then doubled them up to make these thick bundles. The small aqua bundles are ten strands each. I basically looped it over my thumbs and wound it to make big loops that I cut after I’d tied them to the branch. I did it this way because I didn’t have anything large enough to wind the yarn around and my hanging is a much larger scale than the one she made in the tutorial.

My branch is 37″ long, and the longest bundle of yarn is 26″ inches from the branch. I wound that one almost as long as I could reach, so that bundle was about 60″ or so when I wound it.


The embroidery hoop is 12″. I just wove some yarn back and forth, wrapping it several times around the hoop each time. Then I added the three pom-poms to fill it out. Here’s an easy tutorial for how to make them on your hand, or you can purchase a pom-pom maker.

The whole thing is hung on a 12″ dowel because I needed something long to sit on the metal hanger.

This gallery system can be found here.

The photo board is a frame I found at Turnip Green Creative Reuse, a fabulous resource for artists and creatives here in Nashville. I wrapped it in burlap strips and stapled them to the back. Then I zig-zagged jute twine, stapling it as well. I didn’t draw a pattern I just kept going until I liked what I had.

I used bulldog clips (and will replace the mini clothespins with bulldog clips as soon as my new box arrives) to put up some art prints, and added coffee filter flowers made from this tutorial, and some pom-poms.

Folks, I might need an intervention. I can’t stop making pom-poms and coffee filter flowers.

And the third and final piece. I needed something narrower for this space and I remembered these two frames. Once upon I time I did professional photography and I was making a photo wall for a client. The frame company sent me these two without glass and backing, so I called and they sent me completes replacement frames. I liked these but I never knew what to do with them.

That was seven years ago. They are a rare exemption from my if I-don’t-use-it-in-a-year, it goes rule. I just knew I’d find a use for them.

I had some leftover hardware cloth outside, also about seven years old. I stapled it the back of the frames and connected the frames with a wide grosgrain ribbon.

I then covered all the staples and edges of the hardware cloth with wide masking tape, several layers thick so they wouldn’t mark the wall.

The “H” is just gray yarn woven around to fill the chosen squares up with yarn. I did use a yarn needle to make things easier but you could wrap the end of the yarn with a bit of masking tape too.


The heart is made up of coffee filters. I twisted each one and inserted it through each square. I poked all of them through until I got the desired design, then I trimmed off most of what was poking through the back  and applied masking tape to the stubs to keep them together. Then fluffed the filters and I was ready to hang!

I added a tight length of jute twine to hang the top picture from the gallery system, and used a single command picture strip on the bottom of the lower frame to stablise it and keep both pieces level.