(*raises left hand and puts right hand on the Bible. I solemnly swear not to write a list post tomorrow. BUT, give me a break. This is a blog round-up… way different! Okay, so it still has a number in the title… and it’s a list.. okay, so it’s not that different. I’ll write something random tomorrow. yes, I know I said that yesterday, but trust me, list posts are too orderly, and I can’t stay orderly for long!)
1. Even if you don’t care much about photography, you can appreciate this video from Joe McNally, awesome photographer and funny funny man. His book The Hot Shoe Diaries taught me so much about working with wireless flashes. Here he is confessing his photography sins. I’m guilty of using my LCD screen to determine exposure too.
2. One of my old-time blog buddies Darren Rowse went big time (Darren! I’ve been blogging as long as you, where are my thousands of hits and six-figure income!?!? What’s that, I have to be consistent? Consistent… can you define that for me?) and now he blogs about blogging. I found this post of links (27 Must Read Tips and Tutorials for Bloggers he collected from other big bloggers on blogging (Say that three times really fast, bet you can’t) very helpful reading.
3. The Randomly Cool Award goes to…. Pioneer Woman! Hands down one of my favorite bloggers. And, bonus, she’s a photog too She almost always has lots of funny pictures to tell her stories with. Here’s a recent post from here on Cold Cows.
4. A theme close to my heart is simplification (because my brain can’t handle to much complexity all at once! Give me little words people, just cause I use big ‘uns doesn’t mean I know what they mean!) But what does it mean to simplify? Some folks have gone totally off the grid and now live in one-room solar powered shacks (er, I mean, deluxe mini-cabins) with composting toilets and no showers (Seriously this one dude I read about showers at his gym, after he rides his bike there… how does he get home un-sweaty? I don’t know, but maybe he just figures he’s not accumulating multiple days worth of sweat…) Anyway, the post at Choosing Voluntary Simplicity has a good balance and some thoughts for both those who have too much and those who become obsessed with too little. Check it out.
5. Anyone out there with a digital camera? What? you ALL have digital cameras?
What’s that? oh, they’re on your phones. Well that counts. Digital Photography School has a weekend challenge to re-create a famous portrait. If you recreate Annie Lebowitz’s portrait of John Lennon and Yoko Ono, I want to know how you have the pull to get Lennon to come back from the dead to pose for you, though.
(Bonus link! Need inspiration on using just your camera phone? Photographer Chase Jarvis has a new book on photography with just his iPhone camera called The Best Camera is the One That’s with You.)
6. Switching gears a little, my friend Kelly has been writing a very candid blog on dealing with post-partum depression among other things. She just had her second child, and is working through all the changes that come along with that. Check out her latest post here.
7. As a youth minister, I can’t resist this post from my buddy Gavin, interacting with a Rob Bell interview on youth ministry. I particularly loved this quote, because I’ve been saying this for years (Rob! dang you and your famous self for stealing my line!
The dominant paradigm in churches is production, not discipleship. It’s about how to keep kids coming—how are the numbers? In the gospels, whenever there were large crowds, Jesus gave a difficult teaching that thinned out the crowd.
8. Sort of a double link here (no, that doesn’t count as two numbers… I like 9 total for today, so it doesn’t count! okay?) My friend and fellow youth minister (and artistic soul), Holly, has linked to a really cool Epiphany prayer. Check it out here.
9. French Toast Girl! Amazing artist. Love her work. This is one of her latest pieces, Lambey, that was commissioned as a Christmas gift by a friend of hers. It depicts Lambey, the favorite stuffed animal of the friend’s little girl. I love it!
HEY BLOGGERS! This blog round-up’s going to be weekly Saturday thing… Got a post you want link-loved? Leave me the link to your post in the comments to this one and if it’s RELEVANT to my blog content, I *may* feature it in next week’s round up.
*DISCLAIMER: If you don’t know what’s relevant to my blog, read this post to find out what I talk about. If you still post an irrelevant link, I might post it, but I’ll write ridiculing comments about it. You don’t want my ridicule. Trust me.